Lynn Jones is the owner of Just My Type Letterpress in Blue Lake and this will be her second consecutive year with Open Studios, though she has participated in years past. She opened both weekends of the event, made a profit, and had just over 100 visitors.
Lynn says NCOS was a validating experience; the visitors were excited to be there and had an equal love for the process of making. Lynn also caught interest from a gallery owner and landed a spot in a cat themed art show in Los Angeles!
A successful day of Open Studios can be made even more successful with a bit of foot work. Here’s what helped Lynn attract visitors last year:
- Investing time in social media (Facebook, Pinterest, etc.).
- Participating in a free Open Mic through KHUM Radio.
- Teaming up with two others for an underwriting spot on KHSU ($150 split three ways).
- Creating new work with Open Studios in mind to send out with her newsletter.
- Creating a memorable experience for visitors so they’ll come again.
- She adds that perhaps she’ll host a lemonade stand this year! (More info on Lemonade Day here)